Friday, January 17, 2014

They Are Designed For This


































The bones of young children tend to be quite flexible, and even when they do break, they heal far more quickly than those of adults. 


Their bones are no match for their skin, however, which mends itself astonishingly quickly. 


While bloody owies tend to linger on my flesh for months, theirs often heal overnight.


Their skulls are not fully fused, leaving room for their brains to safely jiggle and swell when they've bumped their heads.


Their teeth replace themselves.


They cry passionately into their pain, unashamed, no concern for what the others might think, an act that not only draws aid, but also, on a basic physiological level, reduces the actual pain.


Both their bodies and memories are short. The former keeps them close to the ground meaning they don't have far fall, while the later makes it possible for them to get right back up again.


We do not encourage risky play at Woodland Park. 


We don't even encourage play for that matter. 


We simply provide a slice of the world: space, a variety of interesting materials, and, of course, other kids.


The children take it from there.


They are designed for this.




I put a lot of time and effort into this blog. If you'd like to support me please consider a small contribution to the cause. Thank you!
Bookmark and Share
-->

7 comments:

Stephanie Schuler said...

Kids always tend to bounce back! Let them have their fun! It for sure builds character!

Unknown said...

I agree wholeheartedly now all we have to do is to have people take complete responsibility for themselves and their children and eliminate the possibility for suing one another. We have substituted litigation for responsibility and until that is reversed nothing will change. School yards and playgrounds will not be able to be the challenging places they once were.

Anonymous said...

You are a poet.
I love your posts.

Lyssa said...

I wish I could post your words at every school and on every playground! Thank you for speaking the truth that you find!

Lyssa said...

I wish I could post your words at every school and on every playground! Thank you for speaking the truth that you find!

Gregory_Mcghee said...

Mr. Tom,
I agree with you. I also teach at a preschool while working for my degree and I see this every day. The kids go outside and play and of course your going to have the occasional accident but for the most part, they are expressing themselves through playtime and I think that is vital in the development of a child. Yes indeed, they are designed for high yield activities indicated in your pictures. The kids are tougher than they look and they don't even know it.

Anonymous said...

Love it! Thanks Teacher Tom : )